New Undertaking: Sewing!

All right, this post is very late. I mean, I meant to post this in early September. But somehow September has gotten away from me. I've spent most of the month being sick. I'm not sure how this is happening, and it's annoying. And I don't want to dish out any more money to our friends the physicians because there's a 97.654% chance they'll tell me it's a virus, so buck up, go home and wait it out. I can tell myself that and save the time and money, right? Anyone a budding doctor? Let me know and I'll tell you my symptoms...

But I digress. Back in early September we had a Super Saturday activity at my Church. Basically, we get together as women and learn new skills, make things, and eat. It's always an enjoyable time. This time around I decided to brush up my sewing skills (and believe me, they needed brushing! And so do my teeth for that matter...) and with the help of my friend Rachel, I came home with this...

Cute, huh? It's a reversible bag, and believe it or not, I've been using it to hold some YW stuff when I'm at church! I felt pretty proud of myself, even if some of my stitching was a little non-straight. I also came home with this...

(No, not the Bubbs, she was already here.) Do you see this cute dress? Wow, am I a great seamstress or what? Okay, yeah, I didn't make it. It was Rachel's handiwork, but her cute daughter didn't like it much and the Bubbs is about the same size, so she passed it off to me!

The awesome thing about this dress? It was made from a woman's dress shirt Rachel found at a thrift store!! You can see this one and another one she made and read about it on her blog. I think it is just the cutest dress! I am hoping to make my own for the Bubbs soon, and another project I'm trying to tackle is the making of pajama pants for all three kids!

I really enjoyed the sewing. It's my goal to really get going on it when DH is out of town... Throw in a chick flick, make sure I have a cold beverage, and break out the sewing machine! Thanks to Rachel for the motivation and if any of you have links to patterns you love, leave me a comment and let me know!

Comments

Unknown said…
Very cool! Sewing is so fun! I love the bag you made! And that dress is really cute too - it sounds like it was a fun night! Hope you are doing great!
Jen said…
Oh, I wish I had someone to hold my hand and teach me the basics.

That's the one skill I really regret not learning!
I like your bag! Laundry bags are next! :)
Kodelle said…
Good for you!!! I have yet to tackle that skill but it is sooo on my list of this to do.